Tuesday, April 28, 2009

University of Washington Features Global Daughter

When I graduated from the University of Washington with a degree in European Studies I never dreamed I would end up living and working in Asia. Despite my focus on Europe, my time at UW opened my mind and willingness to explore all cultures of the world. Recently they asked me to write an article on what I was doing now, and we are very pleased to have Global Daughter featured in their Spring Newsletter. For the full newsletter, including pictures please visit:
http://jsis.washington.edu/advise//file/Spr-2009(1).pdf 
(We are on page 7)

Alumni News—News on what some of our most recent alumni are doing..

A Journey to Global Daughter
Prepared by: Erika Mosebach, JSIS Alumni
Company: Global Daughter, www.globaldaughter.com

After completing my European Studies degree from UW in 2004, I decided to travel the world-strangely enough everywhere but Europe! I began my search of the unknown in Kyoto, Japan, where my B.A. opened doors for me to teach English and explore Asia. After two years, I felt it was time to move on to my next challenge and I found myself on a deserted island off the coast of Costa Rica saving endangered sea turtles. It was there, after having witnessed the beauty and humanity of women from different cultures around the globe that my best friend/travel companion and I hashed out the concept of Global Daughter.

We headed to Kathmandu, Nepal, a place steeped in political and social unrest for many years to make our mark. After working with local women’s groups we decided the best way for us to make an impact would be by interacting on a grassroots level with women artisans to bring their amazing handicrafts to the Western market. We now provide skills development training, as well as all the tools needed for these groups to be successful with their handicrafts in hopes that they may be able to lift themselves out of poverty. Global Daughter is an online fair trade boutique that sells unique handmade jewelry, gifts and home accents that are eco and socially friendly. It is also a social project that emphasizes personal relationships, community participation and human development.

Many of my European Studies courses related to women and their struggle and impact throughout history. We at Global Daughter firmly believe that in order to repair a nation that has been through war women MUST be active participants in building their country’s economy. Global Daughter is for women, by women, inspired by all women. To be a part of the fair trade movement to improve the lives others, please visit us at: www.globaldaughter.com.

No comments: