Sunday, February 3, 2008

birth of a daughter

The idea for global daughter was spun in my parent's dinosaur-old, aesthetically questionable and certainly uninspiring RV. In the summer of 2007 on a trip down the Oregon coast, a seed was planted while "rolling" down the highway with my best friend, my mom and my dad at the helm. After two and half solid years of travelling, exploring and general whimsy, I was tired. I was tired, but inspired. My eyes were sore from the pain I saw, my heart was full with the love I witnessed and my mind was trying to process it all. I felt that I had integrated into some of the most unique cultures in the world- and lost myself along the way. How was I supposed to balance the new me and the old me? Only I knew the real changes that took place, but how was I supposed to present it all to everyone else.

All these crazy things were working inside me after one month of being back in the United States- who knew a trip in the RV and 24 constant hours with my parents in a seniors-only RV park would provide the answers that had been alluding me since my return.

My best friend, Erika, fellow wanderer and unemployed dreamer, agreed to go on the trip, "and that has made all the difference." She and I sat in the back eating tuna sandwiches and grapes, barely digesting any of it- swaying from side to side as my dad swerved in and out of lanes half the size of our rig (motion sickness was definitely setting in). Now, Erika and I pretty much think alike and I am positive she might spend time in my head without me knowing. So when I said, "I'm livin' the dream," in response to my dad's favorite and excruciatingly annoying question,"So, what are you doing with your life," Erika answered with the same reply at the same time. We looked at each other and realized no matter what, we embodied the dream. No matter what the dream was, we knew that it was in us.

We had briefly discussed selling some of the fabulous goods I brought back from Nepal on the internet when I first returned. After living in Kathmandu I had acquired quite a collection of original and beautiful handicrafts. They were unique, well-made, stylish and most importantly, produced by women. Neither of us had seen goods like this in boutiques or markets, but were sure that they would be a hit. I knew nothing about business, especially internet business and was intimidated by it all, really. I had spent the last three years in Asia involved in rural development, education and politics. My mind was never programmed with that entrepreneurial spirit. I didn't even know how to post my own used goods on ebay, let alone start an e-business from scratch. So even though it sounded like an interesting adventure, I wasn't quite confident it was worth the trouble. Erika, on the other hand, was confident we could pull it off from the start. I didn't know what she was thinking, because she was just as clueless as I was! What was up with her optimism- a Philosophy major and a European Studies major have no business in business (my business minor was an after-thought and I slept through most of the classes anyway).

So when she brought up the idea again in the RV after having to defend our "dream" response to my dad, something clicked and the constant processing in my mind stopped. I realized that this "business" would not be a business at all, but a connection; a connection to and for all the incredible women I have met in my travels and a way to provide a platform for their voices, talents, beauty and strength. If we could sell goods made by women who otherwise have no connection to trade, markets or buyers, then the "business" could never fail. We would facilitate the development of women in Nepal in an abstract way- not by donations or sponsorship, but by sustainable skill development training that will benefit communities and villages for generations to come.

I was sold. The opportunities to "make a difference" were oozing out of this project and I couldn't wait to begin. That is when we decided to really do it- to begin a new adventure that has surely been the most important and most rewarding to date. In all our great adventures, and we have been blessed with many, this one won't end. It will last. It will last because it is not just about a thrill or a selfish need, it is about helping others achieve their dreams and begin their own adventures.

Through all the searching I have always wanted to put something out into the world that speaks louder than I ever could myself. The poverty, the beauty, the women, the exploration, the injustice, the humanity- it has all come together to create the commanding voice of global daughter. Finally, it is me presenting myself to everyone else.

10 comments:

Brianna said...

Beautiful. I am so proud of you girls. Keep living the dream!

Anonymous said...

Ditto! I'm proud to call you daughters! Keep dreaming and living the dream. It's an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

You are such wonderful girls. What a gift to us and the world

Unknown said...

You ladies are an inspiration and I believe you will make a difference, while living your dream!

Anonymous said...

this is really good news...

b. brown said...

anything i can do?

ThisJane said...

this is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard of...you're making it happen!

Anonymous said...

You guys are an inspiration to all women. I would love to help...

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to know someone who is socially making a difference. Starting small and making a difference in a few peoples lives will grow to make big differences in many lives. Can't wait to see what happens. Please tell all of the women they are beautiful and to stay strong.

Lisa Darden said...

AMAZING!!!!! months later and i am inspired and challenged to live a bigger dream!!!
I am so proud to know you and I want to know how I can be a part of all you are doing!!!!