Monday, September 22, 2008

Kathmandu Marathon/ 5K Kiddie Run













So I didn't actually do the marathon, or even run with the grown-ups, but I did have a great time in the kid's 5K division! My friend was running with kids from her orphanage, so I hopped in and had a go. My practice regime consisted of late nights, San Miguel beer, loads of tandoori and long walks behind the tail pipes of city buses. I was in no condition, but as a former runner, I thought I would dust off the old Nike Air Max 95s!


In total Nepali fashion it was disorganized, late and included a little spice of vandalism. The race was so poorly managed that organizers could not determine the winners of a few of the events. Some runners in the half marathon, full marathon, and 5K did not even reach check points and some rode on motorcycles to complete the race. There were only a few water stations along the route for the marathon runners, leaving them waterless for long stretches. Runners furious at the mismanagement of the event, resorted to vandalism at the national stadium- where all the races finished- shattering podiums and chairs. You know you are in Nepal when....

They did not block the roads so during one stretch of the race about 1,000 people were smashed onto the tiny sidewalk while buses, trucks and vans whizzed by, nearly clipping the heels of runners. I almost got ran over by one of the "volunteers" on his motorcyle. I also saw people cutting through the course along the way. There was no one directing runners, so it was a free-for-all. I was shouting to the kids, "Don't take the short cut in life!" and as I was getting passed by 5-year olds in pig tails and torn-up Ked sneakers, I realized that this marathon was a metaphor for Nepal and its future. Without going into it, I am sure you get it.

Anyways, it was a nice event, full of hilarity and that special touch of Nepali lawlessness. I can't imagine anything else I would like to be doing more at 5am on a Saturday morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so cool skate. I can see it all now! Only in Nepal. Wish I could have done it with you!