Sunday, February 10, 2008

Happy Lhosar!




February 11, 2008

I have been in Kathmandu for one month now, although it seems like I’ve always been here. I have adjusted well to the polluted chaos. I am inspired every day by the spirit of the people here. The smiles on their faces betray the fact that we face power, water, and petrol shortages daily. Living among the local people and exploring their culture, I feel that we are in the right place. Our mission to facilitate a piece of the women’s movement will only serve to guide the country into a more stable place-one that hopefully includes electricity.
Today was the Tibetan Buddhist New Year, Lhosar. To celebrate, Erin and I headed to Boudhanath Stupa, one of the more famous landmarks in Kathmandu. The people were out in full force, including Sherpas, women, children, and tourists alike. Erin and I took some time to reflect and enjoy the sunshine while sitting on the Stupa.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How very cool!! Love seeing the pics. You girls are extraordinary!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! I am so proud of you.

Margaret said...

You have taken on an amazing mission. It sounds challenging, yet exciting. Best of luck to you!!